The options are endless when completing
your room design with an area rug. Below you’ll find more information
about common rug styles as well as a few inspirations and suggestions of
how to incorporate area rugs into your decor.
After color, design should be considered
when selecting an area rug to enhance your decor. While area rugs can
serve as an extension of your personality; be sure to think about
creating harmony between the elements of your decor.
Be it contemporary or traditional, both
styles account for your self-expression and taste. Geometric patterns
are best suited for modern settings, where as traditional floral
patterns are the ones you can use to enhance the vintage style of the
old world. When mixing patterns, it is important to remember that
either the color or the pattern should be in sync with each other. This
helps to create cohesive décor.
- Use rugs of different patterns within the same room as long as the colors coordinate.
- Select rugs of different sizes to create more interest and contrast.
- Use two rugs of the same size to divide a room in half.
- Incorporate rugs of different sizes that are designed to coordinate with each other.
- When using stripes on a floor, horizontal stripes placed in a long narrow room create a feeling of more space.
- Vertical stripes placed in a small hallway make it seem longer.
Select a rug that coordinates with your
decor. Remember the colors in the rug don’t have to match all the colors
within the room, but at least one color should coordinate.
Making color decisions
Color is necessary and without it a home
can look lifeless. Vibrant patterns and colors can strengthen the look
of almost any room. Although it can seem simple enough, adding color to
a plain room isn’t always easy. An addition of a bright area rug can
offer a welcome reprieve from neutral design schemes. If you want an
area rug that conforms to your room’s general appearance, then you may
want to opt for neutral tones and designs that blend with your existing
decor. A textured shag rug is also a great option as a backdrop for your